Re: Questions

In a message dated 96-07-01 10:22:23 EDT, pwillis@ozemail.com.au (Paul
Willis) writes:

> What is the best reference for Anatotitan? Is this now the correct
> name for "Anatosaurus?"? While chasing references, what is the best
> reference on Thescelosaurus?

The best reference on _Anatotitan copei_ is the classic monograph

Lull, R. S. & Wright, N. E., 1942. "Hadrosaurian Dinosaurs of North America,"
Geological Society of America Special Papers #40: xi + 242 pp. + 31 pl.

where you'll find it fully described under _Anatosaurus copei_. I don't think
the postcranial skeleton has ever been thoroughly described, probably because
it closely resembles that of _Edmontosaurus_.

With regard to _Thescelosaurus_, try these:

Galton, P. M., 1974. "Notes on Thescelosaurus, a conservative ornithopod
dinosaur from the Upper Cretaceous of North America, with comments on
ornithopod classification," Journal of Paleontology 48: 1048-1067.

Galton, P. M., 1995. "The species of the basal hypsilophodontid dinosaur
Thescelosaurus Gilmore (Ornithischia: Ornithopoda) from the Late Cretaceous
of North America," Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie,
Abhandlungen 198(3): 297-311 [December 1995].

Parks, W. A., 1926. "Thescelosaurus warreni, a New Species of Orthopodous
Dinosaur from the Edmonton Formation of Alberta," University of Toronto
Studies, Geological Series 21: 1-42 + 2 plates. [This one's really about
_Parksosaurus_, only Parks didn't know that. Also, the species epithet should
have been spelled _warrenae_, because it honors a lady. I formally emended
the spelling back in _Mesozoic Meanderings_ #2 second printing.]

Sternberg, C. M., 1937. "Classification of Thescelosaurus. A description of a
new species," Proceedings of the Geological Society of America 1936: 375
[abstract].

Sternberg, C. M., 1940. "Thescelosaurus edmontonensis, n. sp., and
classification of the Hypsilophodontidae," Journal of Paleontology 14(5):
481-494 [September 1940].

Weishampel, D. B. & Heinrich, R. E., 1992. "Systematics of Hypsilophodontidae
and Basal Iguanodontia," Historical Biology 6: 159-184.

These are in addition to the relevant section of _The Dinosauria_, of course.