Re: Play

On Mon, 8 Jul 1996 martin@hpentccl.grenoble.hp.com wrote:
> Thomas R. Lipka wrote:
> > Interesting thought!  Eventhough I accept the notion of endothermic or
> > homeothermic dinosaurs and their relationship to both Reptilia  and Aves, I
> > find it diifficult to think that any dinosaur had the inclination or the
> > ability to "play" in the sense that comes to mind. To me it seems that they
>
> I'm still not convinced that play serves any purpose whatsoever.....I
> can't see how it produces "better" hunters, or more potetnial
But it does socialize the animal and reinforcement its speciesness.
Predators play, many prey play (even cows). "Complexity" of play should
be considered. A cow may just prance and jump about, but a feline goes
through approaches and pounces. I find it hard to take that a dino
would be born a juvenile only in a physical sense. Its behavior would
likewise be juvenile (of which we can only infer).

+----------+    Rich Travsky   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO . EDU
|          |    Division  of  Information  Technology
|          |    University of Wyoming   (307) 766 - 3663 / 3668
|       UW |    "Wyoming is the capital of Denver." - a tourist
|        * |    "One of those square states." - another tourist
+----------+    http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/
See the Big Al, the allosaurus page:
    http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/big_al.htmlx