Re: Pack hunting

Stan Friesen wrote:

>As I remember the article it actually describes several separate
>Tenontosaurus finds, *all* of which have associated Deinonychus
>teeth.  Also, there were usually more D. teeth than could reasonably
>be shed by one or two D.'s in one feeding (at least if they were
>to maintain a roughly constant number of teeth).
>
>This would indicate that they at least *ate* en mass.

Yeah, but at the same time? I mean, just because there are 12 people in a
McDonald's at one time does not imply they arrived in the same car...

>If I remember right there was one T. with at least one D. skeleton
>associated, in a manner that suggest it died while trying to kill
>the T.  And since the T. did in fact get killed and eaten (tooth marks,
>missing bones, and shed D. teeth), other D. were apparently present.

Or, the T. could have been wounded, died and then scavenged by other
D's later.

The whole pack hunting thing still seems too loose to me-but I'm a
cynic!

-Sherry