Re: Ohh, do I hate to do this! (JP)

Hi, Sabrina,

    I am mostly a lurker, and my background is physics and computer science,
not dinosaurs, but various of my friends used to like to play the game of
"what was right or wrong with _Jurassic_Park_", and ...

    1)  The name.  Many of the species were not from the Jurassic, but from
the Cretaceous.
    2)  The park was evidently very new, not even completely finished, yet
it contained adult species of creatures which quite likely took many years,
perhaps many decades, to attain that size.  How'd they get so big so fast?
    3)  _T._rex_ almost certainly had far better sensory apparatus than
depicted.  If it's incapable of detecting a stationary human being right
under its nose, then it's likely not capable of finding its own freshly-killed
prey -- it knocks down the prey, then as soon as the critter is dead and
stationary, _T._rex_ cannot see it.
    4)  There is no evidence that the "spitter" spat poison.  I believe
this behavior is lifted from the modern "spitting cobra".  _Dilophosaurus_
was in fact a much larger creature, that would tower over a human being.
    5)  The velociraptor pride had been fed an entire bullock the day the
action of the movie started.  That's a lot of meat.  They should have been
about as energetic as overstuffed cats at the time the power went off.  I
imagine them lying somnolent about their paddock, eyes closed, feet in the
air, snoozing happily.  (On the other hand, a _T._rex_ running around might
scare them as much as it would us.)
    6)  Who in his or her right mind would design a security system that
opens all the gates and things when the power goes down?  We don't have
escapes in zoos and theme parks every time there is a brownout.
    7)  This "lysine" business is nonsense.  The idea is that the dinosaurs
were genetically engineered not to synthesize the amino acid lysine, so that
they would have to be given a diet fortified with extra lysine, so that if
any did escape, they would die for want of the special diet.  Well, nonsense!
Human beings don't synthesize lysine, (and don't synthesize several other
amino acids as well), and we don't need special diet additives; there is
enough of what we can't synthesize in our regular diet.  For meat-eaters
the problem is especially small.  The tissue they eat is much like the
tissue of their own bodies, you would expect it to be a balanced diet with
respect to protein.

    One thing that was perhaps actually well done was the velociraptor
behavior.  As I mentioned above, the velociraptor motivation was perhaps
unexplained, but I don't think we saw velociraptors do anything that modern
social predators, such as lions, don't do, and that includes opening doors.

    Hope that will get you started.
                                                      --  Jay Freeman