rearing browsers

        All ye naysayers:
Was looking at Alexanders "Dyanamics of Dinosaurs and Extinct Giants" and
came across the figure that a Diplodocus carries a whopping 78% of its
weight on the back legs, and Stegosaurus, 82%. How's that for rearing
ability? Granted, these are BMNH models, but I'll bet if you use a more
modern reconstruction, you'll get an even higher figure perhaps-
Diplodocus and Stegosaurus really had very short bodies, and older
reconstructions might not reflect this. In addition, if they pulled their
front limbs back, the center of gravity would go even farther
back. Apatosaurus still carried most of its weight on the back end, but
was substantialy lower- maybe like 70 or 75%, I don't remember off the
top of my head.
        -nick L.