Re: rearing browsers

Nick Longrich wrote:

>     Very interesting. McIntosh says the same happened with diplodocid
> necks- they pulled vertebrae out of the back and into the neck to get a
> longer neck.

So did a whole host of Chinese sauropods - Euhelopus, Mamenchisaurus,
Omeisaurus, Klamelisaurus, Nurosaurus - all to a greater extent than
the diplodocids.  But I never saw the connection between increased
number of cervicals (at the expense of the dorsals) and a tripodal
stance.

Speaking of Jack McIntosh's chapter on Sauropods in The Dinosauria,
he also mentioned that the only anterior caudal vertebra known for
Patagosaurus (Middle Jurassic, Argentina) was procoelous.  Could it be
an early titanosaur?