JP and Falling T-Rex (Take 3?)

Klaus Richter wrote:

> The _T._rex_ was probably too fast. Running at that speed (as fast as an
> car) would be very dangerous for an animal like this. If it would stumble,
> its small arms wouldn't be able to catch the fall. Consequences would
> be catastrophal: broken headbones, broken arms or legs, that majestic,
> gigantic predator would be a pile of trash.
> So it definitly moved at a much slower speed, so that an human like
> Dr. Malcolm could easy outmanoeuver it.

While I agree that the T. rex may have been too fast, I'd definitely
add a bit of doubt to your definitely.

We've rehashed the "falling T. rex" on this list quite extensively,
it still does not disqualify T. rex as a high speed carnivore.
Perhaps they had a mechanism for dealing with a high speed fall
(twisting to the side, translating the direction of momentum, etc.)
Perhaps they -simply didn't fall-.  It would be quite easy to
demonstrate that the rock climbing life style of mountain goats is
unlikely, as a single slip would result in their crashing to their
death.  But the goats persist in clinging to their perches.

Falls by a T. rex might have caused injury, but they might have
been such rare events that the need for greater speed outweighed
any threat of rare falls.  It's quite unfair to say that T. rex
couldn't have been so sure-footed simply because we are such
klutzes.  Animals take such extreme chances every day.

T. rex was a predator, and it had to catch its prey.  Unless you
are ready to bog the whole Creatceous in an endothermic slow dance,
I seriously doubt that T. rex would have any trouble outpacing
such a poky creature as a human being.

    __     Mark Sumner
   /  \    http://www.sff.net/people/Sumner
  /    \   DEVIL'S TOWER Preview at http://www.inlink.com/~range