Troodon rarity

Hello all,

This psoting holds little in the way of arguement fodder, as per my usual.
Instead I seek informed opinions as to why there is so little material from
troodontidae found in the US.

Since Warren Johnson, one of our Hell Creek team members, found what might
be a lower right jaw fragment of a troodon my curiousity has been peeked.
Again this find has yet to be comfirmed, but some of us guessed at the ID.
Dinosauria, which I found for $36 at Hastings in the trade paperback model,
notes that T. formosus has been found in the Hell Creek in Montana.

My questions are,  do we know why so few specimens been found? Is this
small canivore rare because it was so small? Is this common among smaller
species generally?

The teeth were very well preserved, and reminded me of the thorns of roses,
recurving from base to the tip backwards. This specimen may have been a
juvenile, as the entire fragment was only an inch or so long. There were 8
or 9 teeth still firmly anchored and slightly staggered alternatingly
inside to out.

Thanks in advance,
Roger A. Stephenson

"and it's one two three what are we fightin' for"