Re: Re: Eustreptospondylus

Adam Yates wrote:

>On Fri, 31 May 1996 NJPharris@aol.com wrote:
>
>> This is a neotetanuran (non-megalosaur tetanuran) synapomorphy,
>> correct?

By the way, Avetheropoda has priority (1987 for the coining by Greg
Paul, earlier in 1994 for its phylogenetic taxonomic usage by me than
Sereno et al.'s Neotetanurae).

At the last SVP, I suggested that Avetheropoda be used for the node
joining Allosaurus and birds (i.e., Carnosauria and Coelurosauria),
with Neotetanurae as the stem-based taxon of all theropods closer to
birds than to Torvosaurus.  Needless to say, other discussions at the
time got somewhat more attention than that note... :-)

>I used to think so now I'm not so sure. In the museum of Victoria,
>here in Melbourne, there is a good cast of the maxilla of Megalosaurus
>on display, it clearly shows a maxillary fenestra!

Megalosaurus does have it, Torvosaurus does not seem to have it.

>Go figure. My best guess is that a fenestra between the lateral wall
>of the maxilla and the maxillary sinus but with the medial wall
>remaining closed) is an apomorphy for the for the Tetanurae as a
>whole. It would then be secondarily lost in Torvosaurus.

I think that may indeed be true.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

"There are some who call me...  Tim."