Re: Megalosaurs

In a message dated 96-06-03 12:08:33 EDT,
T.Williams@cclru.randwick.unsw.edu.au (Tim Williams) writes:

>Also, I heard from someone that a partial skull of Marshosaurus had
>been discovered which confirmed its megalosaur affinities.  Is this
>what you're referring to when you mention the maxilla?

Well, up until very recently there was some confusion over the exact
meaning of the term "megalosaur" (and perhaps there still is).  In
1993, for instance, Currie and Zhao refer to _Monolophosaurus_ as a
"megalosaur grade theropod" and to Sinraptor as a "related form" to
_Megalosaurus_, although it is quite clear that neither of these is a
member of the Megalosauridae.
 Apparently it was not realized at the time how different the
megalosaurids are from other theropod families.

Nick Pharris
Olympia, WA