Mammalian success and egg predation,

Hi everyone,
I'm unlurking for a second to ask the following question on the
mammal/dinosaur thread:
It all started with the speculation that mammals eradicated the dinosaurs
by munching all their eggs ( or at least a large enough fraction).
But then, suddenly, we are discussing why mammals did fill the ecological
niches of dinosaurs.
IMHO, the two facts have not much to do with each other: This is not a
detective story where we can find the murderer by asking: Who got the
most out of it?
I believe, the intended connection is: It were mammals who filled the
niche because they did not suffer from egg-predation as would other
creepers like big birds, lizards or what-have-you. BUT live-bearing is by
far not the only difference between mammals and the rest of the world, so
this seems to me to be a very weak statement. Any flaw in this line of
thinking?
Cheers,
Martin.

                   Martin B"aker