dinosaur neck length measurement

A question for the group from an amateur, with apologies for multiple
postings to various lists:

What landmarks should be used in measuring the lengths of the cervical
spine, thoracic spine, and lumbar spine of dinosaurs?  I'm used to dealing
with mammals, where the divisions of the spine are relatively distinct (rib
articulations, etc.).  What about dinosaurs, many of which have cervical
ribs and an indistinct (to me) transition from cervical to thoracic
vertebrae?  Is there a consistent set of anatomical landmarks that I could
use to determine the length of the neck and trunk on dinosaur fossils?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

James M. Norton, Ph.D.
University of New England