Re: Significant dates in dino history

At 10:44 6/21/96 -0400, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

>Also, off the top of my head, I recall the actual date of Owen's talk
>on British fossil reptiles as August 2, 1841, not July 30. If you can
>document the latter date, let me know.

The problem arises in that the beginning of the annual meeting of the
-British Association for the Advancement of Science- was July 30th, but
Richard Owen didn't speak until August 2nd. (references presently allude me).

What about 1796:

The first individual to publicly recognize a fossil bone as evidence
of some extinct specie was George Cuvier.  These fossils were
unearthed in Paris (France) at the end of the 18th century.  Paris
went wild.  To think that wild creatures like this had once inhabited
Paris was unthinkable.  The bones were mistakenly reported by Cuvier,
to the National Institute of Sciences and Arts on January 21, 1796,
that the fossils were from an extinct form of elephant; distinct from
either the present African or Indian elephants.  "Dinosaur(s)" still
did not exist.  Any bones of unknown origin or age were presumed to be
from some antediluvian creature; that is, preceding the Great Biblical
Flood.

 _/    _/ obert   _/      _/ argulski

       RMarguls@cybercomm.net
   http://199.171.196.3/~rmarguls/