Re: Significant dates in dino history

Chris wrote

>1677 - First published record of a dinosaur bone (described as a giant
>human thigh bone)

This is not true.  The first record of a dinosaur bone was between 123-72
B.C.E.  by Caius Suetonius Tranquillus.  This biologist and historian wrote
in his books of a collection of large bones being housed in the country
villa of Emperor Augustus.  He describes these as the remains of an extinct
race of humans thought to be related to the gods.  I normally wouldn't nit
pick like this, but ancient history is my second favourite pastime, after
dinosaurs of corse!

Cheyenne Arrowsmith
<macvinni@wchat.on.ca>