Ceratopsian relationships

Quoth Stan Friesen:

>Exactly - AND, except for being a bit late, _Diceratops_ seems like the
>direct ancestor of _Triceratops horridus_. [The known species of
>Torosaurus are far too late in time to be likely direct ancestors,
>however].

So perhaps Diceratops is that rare thing, a snapshot of "evolution in
action"? If it's a bit late, then perhaps what we should think is that
Diceratops split off from its own ancestor, was successful only in a
limited environment, gave rise to the far more successful Triceratops, but
hung on in more or less its original form in whatever particular ecotope it
was adapted to.

 Steve Jackson - yes, of SJ Games - yes, we won the Secret Service case
Learn Web or die - http://www.io.com/sjgames/ - dinosaurs, Lego, Kahlua!
          The heck with PGP keys; finger for Geek Code. Fnord.