Re: Fossil Collecting Results . . .

>7. There is a post-WWII story about the consequences of failing to
>   defend the victims of persecution, because the victims are not
>   one of you:  if persecutions are allowed to go unchecked, a day
>   may come when there is no one left to be persecuted, BUT YOU.
>
>8. Lastly:  the ends do not justify the means.  So you don't like
>   commercial fossil dealers?  So you think poor ranchers/Indians
>   get taken advantage of?  Maybe.  But does that justify condoning
>   the US government's excesses in this case?  I don't think so.

Here! Here!

While I am no friend of thoughtless/incompetent/intentional/greedy commercial
"collectors", I emphatically agree with Una's analysis of the situation  and
echo the above. It is an appropriate caveat for the times. Pick an issue. Any
issue. Guns, Drugs, Crime, Property Rights, Commerce, Fossils,  etc. Chances
are increrasingly better that some issue that is near and dear to you will
make certain that you may the next victim of government out of control!

The last thing we need is over-reacting by the paleo-community to encourage
power hungry bureacrats to reach further into our lives, our property and our
liberty. WE MUST deal with the BHI situation ourselves as well as future BHI
situations that are an inevitable consequence of inaction or overreaction!

Regards,
Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies