Re: falling Tyrannosaurs (was Re: Turbinates and welcome Mark

At 10:07 PM 3/4/96 -0500, Jeffrey Martz wrote:

>>      Seriously though, most predators are designed for shocks and
>> falls, as in PDW, Paul says that cheetahs fall and shake off the impact.
>
>     Exactly how does a tyrannosaur "turn on a shoulder"?  Besides, it
>wouldn't make it any lighter.  Most predators don't weigh five or six
>tonnes.  Dropping a large elephant from six feet or so feet in the air
>would probably not do wonders for its health, particularly if you toss in
>about fifteen to twenty mph of forward momentum.

   If I recall correctly, elephants have a rather stiff leg system.  A
better place to look might be a rhino.

[moderator's note: Until and unless people complain, I'm relaxing my
 standard vis a vis quoted material (i.e. I give up).  If the full
 text of a message is less than 35 lines or so, I'll let it go through
 irrespective of how many of those lines are new material.  Please
 complain if that (or any other moderation policy) ever bothers you
 because such complaints are the ammunition I need to enforce
 the policies I establish for the list's benefit. -- MR ]

** Jeff's Dinosaur Page. Home of THE DINOSTORE ** "Those who trade a        **
** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),      ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,    ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Omnipedia.    ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/            ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **