Re: PACHYRHINOSAUR LINEAGE

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Tim Williams wrote:

> I read the _Nature_ paper, and yes there were three taxa.  I'm
> assuming taxon A is a species of _Styracosaurus_ (but I wondered
> about that too).  Which one (_Achelou_ or _Einio_) has the nose-horn
> that curves over onto the premaxillae?

That's _Einiosaurus_ -- _Einiosaurus procurvicornis_, to be exact.
_Achelousaurus horneri_ has bosses like smaller versions of the ones in
_Pachyrhinosaurus_ and is named after Achelous, a character in Greek
mythology who turned himself into a bull and had one of his horns torn
off (by Heracles?).  Hence _Achelousaurus_ refers to the hornless
dinosaur, while _Einiosaurus procurvicornis_ is the "bison
lizard with the forwardly curving horn."

Nick Pharris                            o/       Disco
Pacific Lutheran University            /|           Fever!
Tacoma, WA 98447                       < \
(206)535-8206
PharriNJ@PLU.edu