Insects/Large Animals

> As well, they woudl have to eat damn large amounts of insects, and could
> easily wipe out a whole ant colony just for one meal! I don't think
> insects have ever been preyed upon by very large animals. It's just a too
> inefficeint food source for large species.

Hmm, while they are not _insects_, krill does form the major food source of the
largest animals, the baleen whales...

I wonder why no land animal has developed a system for harvesting locust en
masse?  How often do locusts swarm?  Not often enough to sustain year round
life
for a predator? But then, if I remember rightly, whales pass a good deal of
migration time without food.

musings...

martin