Re: Re: Re: Segnosaurs (again)

>I wouldn't describe segnosaurian teeth as "troodontiform." They don't look at
>all like the teeth of troodontids: just check the illustrations in _The
>Dinosauria_ (pages 410-411).For one thing, there aren't any "blood pits" in
>segnosaurian teeth. The isolated tooth figured by Russell & Dong in their
>_Alxasaurus_ article scarcely resembles the teeth in the _Alxasaurus_
>dentary, but that may be due to the sketchy nature of the figure of that
>tooth. It looks as much like a small prosauropod tooth (see Galton's figures
>in _The Dinosauria_) as it looks like a troodontid tooth, and I would even
>question its identification as an _Alxasaurus_ tooth. (Not having seen the
>specimens, however, I am sure I'll be corrected in due time by those who
>have.)

And you shall.

Although troodonts uniquely (maybe) have nice little points on their
denticles, and carinae along the edges (make for great little SEMs), in all
other major aspects the teeth of _Erlicosaurus_ and _Alxasaurus_ resemble
those of troodontids, _Koparion_, basal ornithomimosaurs, etc.

It is true, however, that all of the above teeth look like prosauropod teeth.

>Speaking of peculiar Mongolian dinosaurs, now that we have neck vertebrae and
>teeth of _Alxasaurus_, why has nobody but me wondered whether the dinosaur
>described by Gilmore in 1933 as _Mongolosaurus haplodon_, an aberrant
>sauropod, is a segnosaurian?

"Aberrant segnosaurian?" Now THAT would be something to see!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661