Re: Insects/Large Animals

>I wonder why no land animal has developed a system for harvesting locust en
>masse?  How often do locusts swarm?  Not often enough to sustain year round
life
>for a predator? But then, if I remember rightly, whales pass a good deal of
>migration time without food.

I think you've answered the question already, "not often enough.....". I
suspect it's not even that they don't swarm all year, but that they don't
swarm every year. Thus they can't be relied on as a stable food source,
where-as the krill tend to be around every year the whales turn up (except
when we dragnet the hell out them!).

I'm trying to image the how of this. Filter feeding on the wing? Could make
for a good cartoon character!!

Graeme.