Info on experiences w/ 2D-to-3D imaging software?

From:  "Dinosaur skull brings a cry from the past" forwarded from Martin
Adamson by Ben Roesch, 6 Mar 96:

>     Scientists then used a body scanner to produce about 500 X-ray images of
> the
>     dinosaur skull which were assembled into a computer model that can be
> viewed
>     inside and out, and from any angle.

A question for those of you with experience in creating 3D models from
multiple 2D slices of paleontological specimens:  what software, techniques,
etc. do you recommend?  Any unexpected difficulties to watch out for when
you're recording the 2D images?  How difficult is it to calculate areas of
surfaces that have to be interpolated between 2D images?

I am specifically interested in calculating areas of bone bearing surfaces
and muscle attachment scars.  They're seldom planar, and difficult to
estimate accurately.  I'm investigating whether CT scans, aggregated into
a 3D model, could then be used to calculate the total surface area of a
selected patch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Leslie Gertsch
Research Assistant Professor