_Parasaurolophus'_ crest and how much we can't deduce from it.

>>Ben and Martin,

>>   Did not someone o\n one of Discovery Channels PaleoWorld programs
>> make a rough duplicate of a Parasaurolophus resonating chamber and
>> blow it to produce a low frequency moan? It is still nice to have
>> asecond opinion.
>
>You are right.  Several seasons ago a program surrounding the
>_Parasaurolophus_ and its resonating chamber was aired.
>I do not recall the gentlemans name though...
>
>He used a piece of PVC pipe shaped like the resonating chamber.  The sound
>came out something like an out
>of tune trombone.

I really don't see what difference making the pipes the same size and shape
of _P._'s crest will make.

An analouge to this is the different types and styles of brass instruments;
take a trumpet and flueggel-horn for example.  Although, size and shape does
control the range and vague tone qualities, the real test as to what the
thing sounds like is in the mouth-piece.  In a trumpet the mouth-piece has a
very shallow cup making the tone very bright, and accordingly you can play
trumpets very loudly without trying very hard.  In contrast, a flueggel-horn
(for those of you who don't know, a flueggel-horn is a brass instrument
similar in size and shape to a trumpet; it's slightly larger and the pipes
look funny) has a mouth-piece that has a very deep cup making the tone more
mellow and non-dirrectional, even though the instrument itself is very
similar in size and shape.

What I'm getting at is, we can't really deduce much of how _Parasaurolophus_,
or any other Hypacrosaurine, sounded like unless we know the shape of the
openning into the larynx, i.e. whether it was shallow or deep.  Since that is
almost entirely soft-anatomy that probably wouldn't fossilize, we can't
really tell how they sounded much more than the basic range of the animal.

Just thought of something.  On the _H. casuarius_ 'mummies,' have the throats
been preserved, especially the voice boxes?  If we could see the openning to
the voice-box on these, then we could probably make generalizations about the
whole family, if their calls were bright and loud or mellow and
non-dirrectional.

Maybe they could even change the depth of the opening to make some calls,
like mating calls maybe, more bright and loud (and obnoxious); and make other
calls like warnings more mellow and non-dirrectional.  Who knows?

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com