Dinofest '96

For those of you who are desperate for something to do from the 18th to
the 21st of April, Arizona State University is hosting Dinofest '96.

Exhibits include "A Walk Through Time" (consisting of dinosaurs and other
fossils from all seven continents from the Precambrian to the last ice
age), and Universal Studios' Jurassic Park exhibit will be on display.

There will also be a "Dinofeast" banquet on the 20th, which will feature
foods you could have actually eaten during the Mesozoic.  (I'm told we'll
have an "iridium layer" cake, among other things.)  The banquet costs $50.

Other events include a public forum on science policy and education, an
interactive television panel discussion on dinosaurs, and a natural
history art exhibit.

I have a preliminary list of speakers (though this schedule is likely to
change in some aspects, so don't plan your life around it) for the
symposium, beginning with Stephen Jay Gould on the 18th.  Each of the
following sessions is scheduled to contain a short discussion period
about mid-way through the talks, and a second discussion at the end of
the session.  Please keep in mind that this symposium is aimed at the
general public as part of the educational outreach program, so even
people like us who have virtually no interest in dinosaurs can understand
what's going on :-).  Lastly, registration for the symposium is $65, but
you can get the banquet and the symposium together for $100.

April 19
Historical Insights and New Discoveries.  Speakers will be Brent
Breithaupt, Craig Derstler, Ned Colbert, Wade Miller, Jack McIntosh, Jose
Bonaparte, David Burnham, & Pete Larson.

Dinosaur Physiology, Biochemistry and Growth.  Speakers will be Mary
Schweitzer, Frank Paladino, Richard Hengst, Reese Barrick, & Claudia Barreto.

Looking at Dinosaurs Without Their Clothes.  Speakers will be Greg Paul,
George Callison, Don Lessem, Don Glut, William Mason, David Alden,
Stephen Czerkas, Jim Kirkland, Linda Deck, Robert Walters, & Ken Carpenter.

Dinosaurs, Fossils, Little and Big Kids, Teachers, Publishers, and
Museums.  Speakers will be Karol Bartlett, Dinah Zike, Darlene Stille, Jo
Wixom, Martin Lockley, Eugenie Scott, Japheth Boyce, Alan Goldstein, &
Pat Leiggi.

April 20
Those Magnificant Dinosaurs.  Speakers will be Jack Horner, Peter Dodson,
Michael Morales, David Rosenberg, John Long, Scott Sampson, Dave
Weishampel, Ralph Chapman, & Pete Larson.

They Populated the Earth; Regional Faunas and Floras, Pt. I, North
America.  Speakers will be Nicholas Fraser, William Gallagher, David
Schwimmer, Thomas Lehman, Louis Jacobs, Michael Triebold, Dale Russell,
Thomas Rich, David Thayer, Rene Hernandez, & C.M. Gonzales-Leon.

Dinosaur Eggs, Nests, and Proto-Chickens.  Speakers will be Karl Hirsch,
Terry Manning, Phil Currie, Ashok Sahni, Bob Bakker, John Ostrom, Larry
Martin, & Sankar Chatterjee.

They Populated the Earth; Regional Faunas and Floras, Pt. II, Elsewhere.
Speakers will be Manuel Iturralde-Vinent, David Elliot, William Hammer,
Patricia Vickers-Rich, Thomas Rich, Catherine Forster, Elizabeth Gomani,
Dong Zhiming, and Mark Norell.

April 21
Dirt, Rocks, Plants In and Out of Dinosaurs, Tracks and Postures.
Speakers will be G.J. Retallack, Lenore Tedesco, Darren Grocke, Ralph
Taggart, Karen Chin, Donald Mikulic, Martin Lockley, Bruce Rothchild,
Ralph Chapman, Peter Dodson, & David Burnham.

Other Aspects of the World of the Dinosaurs.  Speakers will be Garry
Rosenberg, Carl Koch, Neal Larson, Erle Kauffman, & Richard Lund.

Extinction Revisited.  Speakers will be Warren Allmon, Peter Ward, Robert
Sloan, William Zinsmeister, J. David Archibald, Joseph Hartman, Peter
Sheehan, & Robert Sullivan.

A commerative volume is supposed to be published later on, but details on
that are still pretty sketchy.

Finally, for more information you can contact ASU's public events
department at (602)965-5062.

On a personal note, I'd also like to like to suggest that anyone on this
list who plans to attend the symposium (or any other dinosaur fanatic) is
welcome to join me and anyone else I can round up to shoot the breeze
about paleontology (or grad schools or whatever) over beers at a bar just
south of campus.  I'd like to do this each night after the symposium, but
obviously that may not be feasible.  If there are any takers, just let me
know!

-Mikiel