Hadrosaur runnig profile

Hello all,

And the beat goes on.

Peter Buchholz writes,

>Isn't it widely accepted that Hadrosaurs (and Iguanodonts for that
>matter) were mostly quadrupedal?  Even if they were bipedal, they
>had long enough arms to break their fall and help themselves
>recover.

In most cases I'm quite sure hadrosaurs were maily four footed, but in
flight from predation? I don't think the front limbs were either long
enough or strong enough to work like a horse or dog uses theirs. Yes a
hadrosaur might break its fall with those forelimbs, but the limb itself
might break as well. I think hadrosaurs used their forelimbs to assist in
feeding themselves (among other things like scratching), and a broken one
could be just as fatal as a broken neck. Wounded creatures rarely survive
in the real world, no matter the geoogical era. Again trackway evidence
would settle the matter of how hadrosaurs ran. Glen K., what's the story
there?

I'm not trying to create an atmosphere of contention, but rather challenge
the thought processes of all interested. With blind acceptance comes bad
science, and even if I'm dead wrong my efforts are intended to provoke
thought. Therefore I do not consider the points of  objection flaming, but
counter-challenges, and I welcome them. I'd rather be wrong and instill
thinking than right and create silence.

Someone suggested we talk about dig experiences, which I think is a great
idea, so I'm going to relate one from last summer in the upper Hell Creek
formation in South Dakota (only the names have been changed to protect the
innocent);

The path to our main quarry lead across a small errosional ditch, and for
three                            days the entire crew walked in and out
along it. There was a showing of bone, as there is nearly everywhere, but
it appeared so weathered and insignifigant that it was mostly ignored. Out
of curiousity one of our team leaders figured it was worth bending over to
take a look at it. These fragments turned out to be skull parts, with
teeth, of a hadrosaur. While these bones were not in great condition I was
lucky enough to be selected to help get these bones in jackets. While it is
impossible to look at every tiny hunk of bone, one never knows which one is
worth the trouble.

Roger A. Stephenson
rstephen@cswnet.com