Hypacrosaurines

>This time I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree (although I suppose
>you could hedge a bit in terms of the definition of "make the sound").

I mean produce the sound which is amplified by the trumpet.

>If what you were saying were correct, then changing the position of
>the slide on a trombone, opening and closing the valves on a trumpet
>or adding a mute to a instrument's bell would not have the effects
>that they do.

I did not say that.  While changing the length of the pipes does change the
sound very quickly, it is not necisary.  A player can lip up or down almost
any note, though it becomes increasingly dificult and near impossible in the
lower ranges.  In point of fact, you can play every single note above the
staff with every single fingering and it will sound the same; you can play
chromatic scales without even moving your fingers if you like.  A mute by the
way changes the way the sound is amplified, just like a Monnette trumpet
($12,000-$13,000)  would aplify the sound better than a Besson trumpet
(considerably less).

>The body of the trumpet is responsible for the pitches
>and timbres of each of it's possible "notes".

No, the player's mouth and mouth-piece are.

>The mouthpiece (and
>attached mouth) only initiates the vibrations (i.e. picks which of the
>trumpet's notes will be played).  While the mouth and mouthpiece are
>important, they are certainly not the whole story.  Have you ever
>played a trumpet's mouthpiece into a microphone instead of a trumpet?

I've never played it into a microphone, I can tell you that I can buzz a
chromatic scale with and without a mouthpiece.  But we are getting of the
point... the point is that the Hypacrosaurine's head simply amplifies the
sound made by the voice-box.  Since we have no voice-boxes of Hypacrosaurines
around, it will be virtually impossible to simulate the kind of sound
amplified by the Hypacrosaurines' heads.

>Thus the PVC Parasaurolophus noise probably did not sound
>anything like the actual noise. Lining the PVC with a tissue-like
>material and increasing the volume of air to approximate the volume of
>the Parasaurolophus lungs - not Weishampels' puny lungs (by dinosaur
>standards) would be a start.

There is only so much air you can shove through a certain sized hole, no
matter how hard you blow.  If Weishampel blew hard enough to get the air
backed up, then that's probably as hard as one could blow.  We are also
ignoring another 'small hole' for the air to go through, not only must it go
through the voice-box, but it has to go through the nostrils.

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com