Tyrannosaurus rex biomechanics

        I haven't seen the Farlow & Robinson piece on T. rex biomechanics
yet (the university here doesn't subscribe to it), but there are ecologic
reasons for believing that T. rex did not engage in extended 40 mph chases
pursuing Triceratops.  I've studied the fossil soils of the Hell Creek
Formation, and the environment there during the time of T. rex was
primarily closed-canopy lowland forest, with a few bald cypress swamps.
Since the only open spaces were narrow areas of successional vegetation
along streams, It's unlikely there would have been enough open areas for
a six tonne biped to accelerate to 40 mph!