Re: Tyrannosaurus rex biomechanics

From: guy leahy <n9435712@henson.cc.wwu.edu>
 > but there are ecologic
 > reasons for believing that T. rex did not engage in extended 40 mph chases
 > pursuing Triceratops.  I've studied the fossil soils of the Hell Creek
 > Formation, and the environment there during the time of T. rex was
 > primarily closed-canopy lowland forest, with a few bald cypress swamps.
 > Since the only open spaces were narrow areas of successional vegetation
 > along streams, It's unlikely there would have been enough open areas for
 > a six tonne biped to accelerate to 40 mph!

The problem is that the data on vegetation is really limited mostly
to the floodplains.  The inter-riparian areas are largely unknown.
This vegetation may well have been more open, given the evidence for
periodic draught in the area.

 > REFERENCES
 >      Retallack. G. J., Leahy, G. D., & Spoon, M. D. (1987).  Evidence
 > from paleosols for ecosystem changes across the Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary
 > in eastern Montana.  Geology, v. 15, p. 1090-1093.
 >      Retallack, G. J. (1994).  A pedotype approach to latest Cretaceous
 > and earliest Tertiary paleosols in eastern Montana.
 > Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 106, p. 1377-1397.

These, however, *are* excellent papers.  Retallack's work on
paleopedology is truly impressive.

The peace of God be with you.