Re: Hypacrosaurines

Peter Buchholz writes;

>>This time I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree (although I suppose
>>you could hedge a bit in terms of the definition of "make the sound").
>
>I mean produce the sound which is amplified by the trumpet.

But...

The trumpet doesn't merely amplify the sounds it makes, it alters
them.  One can alter the tone much more simply/dramatically by
changing the fingering than by altering the strength of the air blown
into the trumpet.

>In point of fact, you can play every single note above the
>staff with every single fingering and it will sound the same; you can play
>chromatic scales without even moving your fingers if you like.

Ultimately, it is the piping of the instrument that determines how it
will sound (which is the point in question).  The piping of a trombone
is what gives it the mellow sound characteristic of the instrument.
The curves and valves of the trumpet help give it a far more agressive
sound.  It would be interesting to examine more of the crested
hadrosaurs, to see if we can develop a whole orchestra (right Illes?).

>>The body of the trumpet is responsible for the pitches
>>and timbres of each of it's possible "notes".
>
>No, the player's mouth and mouth-piece are.

Most musicians I know try to use both whenever possible.

>>The mouthpiece (and
>>attached mouth) only initiates the vibrations (i.e. picks which of the
>>trumpet's notes will be played).  While the mouth and mouthpiece are
>>important, they are certainly not the whole story.  Have you ever
>>played a trumpet's mouthpiece into a microphone instead of a trumpet?
>
>I've never played it into a microphone, I can tell you that I can buzz a
>chromatic scale with and without a mouthpiece.  But we are getting of the
>point... the point is that the Hypacrosaurine's head simply amplifies the
>sound made by the voice-box.  Since we have no voice-boxes of Hypacrosaurines
>around, it will be virtually impossible to simulate the kind of sound
>amplified by the Hypacrosaurines' heads.

If one is using a _Homo sapiens_ voice box as a comparison to a
dinosaur, we will be comparing apples to oranges.  Our voice box is a
highly derived structure (hense the wide range of sounds possible to
it), and probably not applicable to a hadrosaur.  AFAIK, the voice
boxes of most animals are fairly generalized.

>There is only so much air you can shove through a certain sized hole, no
>matter how hard you blow.  If Weishampel blew hard enough to get the air
>backed up, then that's probably as hard as one could blow.  We are also
>ignoring another 'small hole' for the air to go through, not only must it go
>through the voice-box, but it has to go through the nostrils.

In most wind instruments, it isn't the lung force that matters, it's
the quality of the tone at the end (consider a long breath over a
short "sneeze").  A hadrosaur that is blowing a gentle breath through
it's crest could produce a powerful tone without much effort (simply
project from the diaphram ;-).

Rob

***
"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
                        -MPFC