wipe outs and stuff

> I am curious to know whether those motorbike riders who related their
>accident experiences could enlighten us on any differing injuries between
>pavement wipe-outs versus those suffered by dirt-bike riders who are wiping
>out on softer and more yielding substrate (which would be more akin to the
>ground a tyrannosaur would land on in the event of a fall). I would expect a
>rider on smooth, regular pavement would be more likely to slide along,
>whereas softer irregular ground would invite more rolling, digging in and
>flipping over such as seen in racecars which get off the track and onto the
>grassed infield.

   Most everybody I know who's ever had a motorcycle accident rolls
during it.  This is mostly because you've been sitting on a device
that moves forward only when accurately balanced, and when it tips the
wheels generally continue to roll, throwing off force in all
directions.  People are lightweight and bounce a lot when separated
from the heavier, rolling machine.
  Also, when compared to a T rex, people on motorcycles have really
really low centers of gravity so the fall OFF the motorcycle is pushed
forwards by the more powerful force of the forwards momentum.  T rexes
still have to fall down 30 feet before stopping, AS WELL as continuing
forwards on forwards momentum, but since the two forces (forwards and
down) are less different, I would think the 30 ft downwards weight
shift of 5 tons (apx) would do rather a lot to slow the forwards
momentum sooner on a T rex than the mere 6 ft fall of a 700 lb
biker-with-bike.  The math or physical law I am attempting to
describes probably exists in some nice formula, but I don't know the
name of what I'm trying to describe here.
  Pavement gives you road rash on contact, rolling and sliding on the
pavement.  My accident was on gravel and dirt as the brakes fell off
while driving down a one-lane paved road on a mountain, and I had a
choice of going into the mouth of a ravine or off a very steep cliff.
Gravel and dirt cause lots and lots of skin abrasion and make you
bounce more as you hit irregularities.  Roads that are paved allow you
more speed and you then need longer to reach a steady state.  Road
rash can remove bone during the abrasive moments, dirt generally just
breaks it..

-Betty