Re: Tyrannosaurus rex biomechanics

From: guy leahy <n9435712@henson.cc.wwu.edu>
 >      The above statement is incorrect.  Fossil soils are known from
 > all habitats in the Hell Creek Formation, including the inter-
 > riparian ones.

Where is this documented?

I have read Retallack's recent paper on the pedotypes of the Hell Creek
and overlying deposits. None of the soil types he documented there were
what I would call inter-riparian. The topographically highest sites
(from the levels overlying the Hell Creek yet) were best viewed as
abandoned terraces. The bulk of the soil types were either backswamp
or distal overbank, with some levee and "mature" sandbar soils.

If there is anything more comprehensive than this paper I woudl really
like to see it, since paleo-environmental reconstruction is one of my
particular interests. [I will probably be putting my article on
Lance-Hell Creek vegetation reconstruction on my Web page eventually].

 > As I noted previously, the most abundant habitat type in Hell Creek time was
 > closed canopy, warm-temperate to subtropical forest.

I reconstruct the Hell Creek area as warm temperate, grading to
subtropical in the more southerly Medicine Bow Formation.

The predominate vegetation of the better drained floodplain areas
appears to have been dominated by _"Dryophyllum" subfalcatum_,
a probably deciduous, chestnut-like tree. [P.S. does anybody
know what genus species this is currently placed in? I have
been told it is no longer considered _Dryophyllum_].

One of the open questions, to me at least, is the habitata and
growth form of some of the rarer plants in the sampe set I am using.
For instance, _Ginkgo adiantoides_ shows up at one or two sites.
Could this be an isolated sample of the "upland" vegetation of the
area?  I don't know, there is too little data. There is also one
sample with substantial amounts of "Auraurcarites". The habitat
that represents is also undetermined, though I am guessing perhaps
coastal sand dunes, similar to the sand pine woodlands of Florida
today.

 > The large open spaces depicted in
 > the film Jurassic Park simply did not exist in Montana 65 million years ago,

Or at least in eastern Montana. Western Montana, west of the ?Sweetwater
Anticline, was more arid, and probably more open. (But there is also
little evidence for T. rex in that habitat!!!)

The peace of God be with you.