Tyrannohands

From: "King, Norm" [nking.ucs@smtp.usi.edu]

    According to Holtz (J. Paleo., v.68, no. 5, p. 1107), an unambiguous
synapomorphy of maniraptors (sensu Gautier only?) is a long and slender
metacarpal III, yet tyrannosaurs have a very short metacarpal III.

From: Dinogeorge@aol.com

    The metacarpal III of Daspletosaurus was much shorter (and much, much
smaller) than metacarpal II: see the photo in D. A. Russell 1970(by the
way--if you ever get to see that specimen, tell me [classroom exercise]
what's wrong with the [incomplete] manus as depicted).

   Question:  what are the digits in a tyrannosaur manus?  Are they I and II
or II and III?

** Dinosauria On-Line. Home of THE DINOSTORE   ** "Those who trade a        **
** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),      ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,    ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Omnipedia.    ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.dinosauria.com                   ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **