Re: Dinosaur Genera List corrections #43

At 04:05 PM 3/17/96 -0500, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>The following synonym of _Archaeopteryx_ was evidently to have been proposed
>as a replacement name for _Griphosaurus_ and is not simply a misspelling of
>it, as I had thought before:
>
>_Griphornis_ Owen _vide_ Woodward, 1862*

   Okay, add this to the list.

>So, because _Archaeopteryx_ has been classified among the dinosaurs, this
>should be added to the list as a dinosaur name. The asterisk signifies that
>it is not presently considered dinosaurian.
>
>_Archaeopteryx_ and all its objective and subjective synonyms, namely,
>_Archaeornis_, _Griphornis, _Griphosaurus_, and _Jurapteryx_, should likewise
>be asterisked.

   Now I'm confused.  If _Archaeopteryx_ is classified among the dinosaurs,
why should it and all it's synonyms be asterisked as non-dinosaurian?

** Dinosauria On-Line. Home of THE DINOSTORE   ** "Those who trade a        **
** (for all your Dinosaur product needs),      ** little freedom for a      **
** Jeff's Journal of Dinosaur Paleontology,    ** little security will soon **
** and The Dinosaur Mailing List Omnipedia.    ** find they have none of    **
** http://www.dinosauria.com                   ** either." -- Jeff Poling   **