Re: brooding oviraptor, etc.

>Several commentators on this list seem to be of the opinion that the
>recently discovered "brooding ovirpator" was buried during a sand storm.
>First question:  Have sedimentologic studies demonstrated the eolian
>nature of the sediment immediately surrounding it?  Second question:  Do
>we have sedimenologic data on any of the other remarkable Mongolian
>finds, such as the _Velociraptor_ and _Protoceratops_ buried while
>engaged in mortal combat? I'm having trouble accounting fot the latter by
>a gradual burying in wind-borne sand.

In various SVP presentations over the last couple of years, Dave Fastovsky,
the AMNH team, and Dave Unwin have all shown the aeolian nature of some of
the Djadochta and Djadochta equivalent deposists.  Similar discoveries are
reported for Inner Mongolian equivalents in papers by Jerzyckiwiecz (okay,
I can't remember the exact spelling: apologies :-( ) in the must-have
October-November 1993 issue (which came out in the Spring of 1994) of
_Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences_.

All have found _Protoceratops_ hunkered down, oriented with the wind, and
occasionally specimens which had died while digging upwards through the
sand.  In the case of the fighting dinosaurs, Unwin presented evidence that
they were buried by a collapsed dune.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661