Re: LOng NECKS

>> Name one other long-necked group that feeds below shoulder level!!
>
>err, ostriches etc....
>um geese are grazers
>err swans (ok you could look at these as upside down high level feeders...)

As a matter of fact I am having trouble thinking of ANY bird that is a
long-necked high-level feeder (just possibly some long-necked woodpeckers
might qualify, but only just - their necks are, I think, more for
manoueverability than reach).  Think of flamingoes, ibises, herons....

You could argue that since birds can fly, they do not need long necks to
reach upwards; but in my experience even flightless long-necked birds are
primarily ground feeders (eg ostriches, emus, cassowaries).

Of course all this may have nothing to do with sauropods.  For one thing, I
suspect birds evolved long necks either because they evolved long legs for
running (eg ostriches) or wading, but had to reach the ground somehow, or
because they were useful in hunting (eg herons).  Sauropods, being neither
hunters, swift runners or waders (well, I assume they weren't) may have
evolved their long necks for different reasons altogether.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5