Re: diplodocid radiation

>Is there any strong evidence of diplodocids present in Asia?  I am
>belonging more and more convinced that Asian sauropods considered to be
>diplodocids are now being placed within the Euhelopodids or some other
>family (similar to diplodocids) as yet to be named.

The two skull genera _Quesitosaurus_ and _Nemegtosaurus_ are members of the
Diplodocoidea, and are either their own family (Nemegtosauridae) or the late
surviving members of the Dicraeosauridae.  A lumper might place all
diplodocoids in the single family Diplodocidae.  Whatever the case, these
two skull taxa are (probably) more closely related to _Dicraeosaurus_ and
_Diplodocus_ than to _Euhelopus_ or _Mamenchisaurus_.

[Then again, Greg Paul has restored the skull of _Nemegtosaurus_ on the body
of the sympatric sauropod _Opisthocoelicaudia_...]

>P.S. this goes for Camarasaurids also.

The Asian "camarasaurids" (esp. _Euhelopus_) are now considered a different
clade, Euhelopodidae.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661