Re: Dino Knees

Rob Meyerson wrote:
>  I suspect that the main reason for this type of limb construction is that
> the leg and upper
> foot acted as a shock absorber between the ground and the body.   To return
> to my horse
> comparison, this type of limb arrangement can be found in animals that are
> rather fast on their feet.  To *really* go out on a limb (no pun intended),
> one
> could say that this would mean that, like horses, theropods not only could run
> fast, but did so frequently; possibly another point for the high-metabolism
> theropod model.

   the center of gravity changes with the shape of the WHOLE animal, and you
can't use a
quadrepedal metaphor for a bipedal animal because the weight support is all
wrong.
   Horses have more vertical lines in their lower rear legs, therapods are more
vertical until
the ankles.  Horses are not the right comparison as they have two more
EXTREMELY vertical front
legs to catch and hold the weight of their forwards momentum and to reach out
and grab more
ground.  The back legs serve only to push the weight forwards adn hold up the
back half of the
naimal, the front bears the weight of the head and neck as well as grabbing
ground to do some
slight pulling along of the body.
  The therapod hasn't got anything extra to JUST grab ground, or JUST push
weight along, so look
at BIPEDAL forms for proper comparison.  Like ostriches, people, ground sloths,
and kangaroos.
Then eliminate the kangaroos 'cause they have (except one species of kangaroo)
a fused hip that
doesn't allow individual leg movement but rather dual 'locked-step' movement,
and eliminate the
ground sloth as it was probably moving as a quadreped and sit/standing to feed.

-Betty Cunningham