Re: sauropod feeding dogma*

Stan Friesen writes;

> > Diplodocids are NOT tall in the front nor do the
> > vertebrae indicate  the neck was carried erect (sorry, Greg).
>
>Yes, we know that.  Rearing up could compensate for that.
>Thus the neck position is not, by itself, sufficient evidence.
>It needs to be shown that the reaered feeding position is untenable.
>Given the rearward positioning of the center of mass, I think this
>may be hard to do.

Here's a thought;

Consider how easy it would be for a theropod to attack Diplo's neck if it was
held parallel to the ground.  If an Allosaur were to zero in on the neck, about
midway to the body, there would be no way for the _Diplodocus_ to raise it's
neck in time to avoid the strike.  Indeed, the Allosaur could easily take a good
chunk out of the neck, and let the neck arteries do the rest.  Seems like an
easy target to me.

I suggest that the neck was held somewhat aloft.  This would have the double
effect of increasing it's browsing area, as well as being able to spot predators
from a good ways off.

Rob

***
Evolution = God's kingdom with a facelift.