Re: sauropod feeding dogma*

>       The vertebrae show that the neck starts from the back
> sticking straight out, except in Apatosaurus yahnapin, which had an
> arrangement something similar to Camarasaurus and Brachiosaurus, where
> the neck articulates with the back at an angle.
>       The vertebrae also show that the head was carried at a 90 degree
> angle to the neck. Analysis of the of the semicircular canals is supposed
> to show that the head itself was held normally, with the snout pointing
> forward. So the back had to start out straight and later curve up so
> the head was held erect at the end.

     How long are the front legs relative to bck legs, compared with
other diplodicids?  If one is playing with the idea of diplodicids as
rearing high browsers, A. yahnapin sounds like it might be adopting a
more "passive" approach more like Brachiosaurus and Camarosaurus by
modifying itself so it wouldn't have to rear.  Alterations in the length
of the limbs might have something to say about the idea of rearing
sauropods.
    Raptor Rachael's survey results prove we are really macho.

LN Jeff, Y.S.