Re: patellas

Betty wrote:-

>why don't 2-legged, bipedal birds have patellas?
>Therapods don't have them, but they have a severe knobby bit at the
>knee-end of the tibia that might have acted in a similar fashion to a
>patella.

As far as I can work out some lizards have a boney growth in a tendon
which is possibly analogous with the patella of mammals.  I guess it is
just a feature that evolved in the mammals and didn't develop in the
retiliomorphs.  Dinosaurs were evolving along a particular line from
ancestors that hadn't developed this feature (ie: I don't know why they
don't have this feature but I guess the "knobby bit" was an evolutionary
adaptation that went someway towards compensating for the lack of a
patella???).

Neil