Re: sauropod feeding dogma*

> A good thought, but, since the forelimbs of most diplodocids were rather
> shorter than the hindlimbs, the neck actually pointed somewhat
> *downwards* from the shoulder.  To raise its head, the animal would have
> to counteract this initial downbend, and it most likely could not get its
> head much higher than the level of its back.  Bear in mind that the neck
> of, say, _Diplodocus_ was long largely because the cervical centra were
> long.  The neck was not all that flexible.

     When Ken Carpenter played around with the cervicals when he
remounted DMNH's Diplodocus, he found that there is actually a high
degree of flexibility.  The head could be raised quite high, and curved
downward almost far enough to have the head upside down.
     I don't see a low held neck as being a serious liability.  The
neck is no more vulnerable to theropod attack that any other part of
the body. within a meat eating dinosaur's reach.

LN Jeff, Y.S.  0-
"Don't underestimate our intelligence"
"I could never underestimate your intelligence."
"Apology accepted."