Eggs?

Helo all,

I have a few questions regarding the nesting of hadrosaurs. I think we're
all well aware of Dr. Horners work involving the nesting discoveries at egg
mountain, but I am looking for further data. What I'm looking for is the
conditions, terrain type, formation structure, or any other clues that
might point to addition sites of hadrosaur nesting activities.(Not the
actual site).

Is it now accepted that hadrosaurs nested exclusively in highland, or
foothills, settings? Is it possible that other species of hadrosuar
prefered a different enviornment?

One reason I'm asking is related to a still unconfirmed find my wife and I
made in western Colorado 2 years ago, well east of Dinosaur National
Monument. We found what appeared to be eggs literally covering the ground.
I brought one home, and over a year of slow work with white vinager I freed
the stone interior from the case, it was already broken. Inside this
"filling" were several small "bone-like" objects. The confusing part was
the other fossils at the site, which representd marine creatures. After
reading of the eggs found last year in France(?) on the edge of what was
once the ocean I've mulled this over for some time. Could it be that what
we found was indeed dinosaur eggs, not neccessarily hadrosaurs, that nested
near the sea? Are there any other natural formations that produce objects
resembling eggs, like bacteria colonies? But what could account for the
objects inside?

The aprox. size of the "egg" would be 6-8 inches long and 4-5 inches at the
midpoint, and has a classical egg ovalness. Nearly all of the other "eggs"
at the site were this size. All we saw. on the surface, were broken.

If you're asking yourself why we didn't report this, and I've waited until
now to post this, I have my reasons. After finding and reporting a sauropod
femur, on a trip to Como Bluff the spring before, I was assured that when
the specimen was extracted I would we invited. Well the bone now resides at
the U of Wyoming, and found out quite by accident of its recovery. A well
know TV paleontologist lead the team that recovered it, and this lucky find
added to the hype of the expedition, I'm sure. It seems that sometimes the
process of discovery falls well below the need for furtherance of some
paleontologists ego.

I realize the one specimen I have must be confirmed before anything else is
done. Any suggestions as to how to go about this? If, and I know it's a big
if, this turns out to be the real deal I will lead a caring paleontologist
to the site. Hard nosed attitude? You bet! As the song says, "Once burned,
twice shy". I do not care about personal glorification in this matter, nor
seek any credit. I do, however want to be involved. I don't feel that's too
much to ask.

Field work rules!
Roger A. Stephenson
rstephen@cswnet.com