help needed for another geology dept!

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:01:41 -0500
From: David Peter Pascal <david@ERE.UMONTREAL.CA>
Subject: Geology under attack at UdeM
To: Multiple recipients of list QUATERNARY <QUATERNARY@MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA>

March 27, 1996

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

Many of us in geology have either been threatened or already have
experienced downsizing brought on by administrators with a very limited,
narrow vision.   On March 20, 1996, the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and
Sciences informed the staff, both teaching and support staff, and the
various geology student associations that geology department here at the
Universite de  Montreal the Faculty will start procedures to close its
geology department.  It has become known since that closure would come as
soon as June 1, 1996.  Over the past few days an incredible effort by
professors, students and unions of the university and friends of the
department has brought to bear intense pressure on the administrators to
reconsider their decision.  They have been served ultimatum to cease all
action and have been informed of legal consequences for their unilateral
actions.  The results are that the winds have changed direction.
However, we are not out of the woods yet.  At this moment, we need all
the support we can muster to convince the powers that geology is a
critical and necessary discipline, that opportunities exist for the
profession, and that geology is an important component in the social and
economical life of a country with respect to its resources, environment,
and general well-being.  We are asking for your support, such that we may
show our administrators the dangers they are incurring by eliminating
geology from their curriculum and depriving students and society of basic
knowledge about the earth on which they live and depend.  Do not forget
that you may be next.

To this end, your support for our effort to continue geology at
Universite de Montreal would be greatly appreciated.

Support can be sent either

by E-mail to david@ere.umontreal.ca
by FAX to 514-343-5782,
or by snail mail to

Dr. Michel Bouchard, Directeur
Departement de geologie
Universite de Montreal
C.P. 6128, Succursale centre-ville

P.S.  Since we have started solliciting help, we have been flooded by
very thoughtful supporting responses which we are using to build a most
impressive demonstration about the "errors of the ways of our
administrators".

I apologize to those who receive this more than once as I am posting it
on several mail-lists to which I subscribe.

On behalf of students, staff and faculty of Departement de geologie at
Universite de Montreal, I thank you all.

Peter P. David
Still the Departement de geologie

Best wishes.         Peter

Bonnie Blackwell,                               bonn@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu
Dept of Geology,                                (718) 997-3332
Queens College, City University of New York,    fax:  997-3349
Flushing, NY 11367-1597