Re: your mail

> Did nodosaurs have any kind of defensive advantage over ankylosaurs?

Nodosaurs were smaller, spinier, and more mobile than ankylosaurs.
Probably more aggressive in co-specific combat and active defense against
predators. (small, fleet, and viscous, early Cretaceous predators like
Deinonychus)  Nodosaurs probably lived in (small) family groups.

Ankylosaurs were larger, more armored (specialized armor), had a tail club,
and possessed greater sense of smell.
Probably less aggressive and used a more of a passive defense against
predators. (large, relentless, specialized, late Cretaceous predators like
Tyrannosaurus)  Ankylosaurs probably lived in (large) family groups.

> I realize their differences, and it seems
> to me that nodosaurs were rather like ankylosaurs with less defensive
> capability.

I disagree, Nodosaurs were suited for their time as Ankylosaurs were
suited for their time.  They have a lot in common also like weak teeth.

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelations.unomaha.edu)