[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]
Heck, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring...
Who: John R. Hutchinson
What: Grad student at UC-Berkeley, Padian lab
Where: Berkeley, CA; Integrative Biology Dept. (Ph.D-bound!)
Why the silly e-mail address? I'm still figuring that out. Seemed like a
good idea at the time...
Age: 24 (finishing up 1st yr grad; 5 years to go!!)
Hometown: Sunny Madison, Wisconsin!
Degrees: B.S. in Zoology, UW-Madison 1993.
Areas of academic interest:
Undergrad: Marine biology/ecology, cellular biology, animal
diversity, form/function stuff.
Current: (broad) Vertebrate Evolution, Functional Morphology,
Biomechanics, Scaling, Philosophy and History of Science, Science
(narrow) Theropod dinosaur locomotion, especially computer
biomechanical modelling, muscle homologies, etc., all in a phylogenetic
1) in Kevin Padian's diverse little lab group, and working with the
assistance of Kevin and Professor Bob Full (physiologist, biomechanicist)
on functional/biomechanical stuff using theropods as a study group, since
they're an interesting (and fairly approachable) problem in terms of muscle
homology, mechanics, etc.
2) using some of Bob's spiffy computer models (you might have seen Bob
featured on the Discover magazine show Sunday night, and if you're really
sharp you noticed the little blurb about dinosaurs; that's what I'm up to).
3) also in the process of studying/redescribing _Segisaurus_, a mysterious
4) involved with the UCMP and our herculean task of unpacking after our
big move; exhibits and outreach committees; yada yada.
5) going to Utah in late May to tour the museums and resident specimens.
6) working at Kristi Curry/Jack Horner's field site in Montana (sauropod
bonebed) this July, not far from the _Deinonychus_ quarry (cool!).
7) getting really psyched for SVP -- I've caught glimpses of a few
abstracts, and they sound way cool!
Nuff said; my homepage is a lot sillier and more in depth if you are curious.
John R. Hutchinson
Evolving Evolutionary Biologist
Department of Integrative Biology
3060 Valley Life Sciences Bldg
University of California - Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720