Re: Czerkas

At 07:06 PM 11/1/96 -0500, Brian Curtice wrote:

>       Stephen and Sylvia Czerkas introduced themselves to me as
>"Stephen and Sylvia".  I took the opportunity to ask how he pronounces
>his last name, to which he replied "Cherkas".
>       Brian Curtice

I suspected as much -- "cz" is commonly pronounced as "ch" when the
Eastern European names are Anglicized -- but I was using a little artistic
latitude for the sake of the joke. I do see how this might lead to people
thinking the name was pronounced "Circus", and I didn't really think of
that at the time. I hope nobody was offended, or took it TOO seriously.
OK? (Hey, I worked on that one for a while!)

[Alright, enough on pronunciations.  I'm not likely to accept anything
 else in this thread unless it weaves back to the topic. -- MR ]

Wayne Anderson