Sauropod cervical vertebrae

Brian Curtice wrote:
>       Being a HUGE fan of vertebrae...

        OK, sounds like Brian knows a lot about sauropod
vertebrae. I'm sure others here do, too, so I'll ask a question I've
been wondering about for some time now:

        In the book, "Dinosaurs: A Global View" (wonderful book!)
Stephen Czerkas asserts that his observations indicate that sauropods
could not lift their necks much beyond horizontal. While I don't claim
to have knowledge to dispute this, this assertion seems to have been
completely ingnored by the paleontological community.  Sauropods are
still shown lifting their necks, and nobody even seems to have
published a rebuttal.

        So we know what Mr. Czerkas says. What does everybody else say?

1) Has it been rebutted and discredited, and I simply missed it?

2) Has it been proven and accepted, and the people who portray
neck-lifting sauropods simply missed it?

3) Is there a hotly raging debate that I'm missing?

4) Are his observations accurate for a small group of sauropods (if I
remember correctly, he was using Mamenchisaurus in his example, and
that is NOT a "typical" sauropod), and not applicable to others?

5) Is this assertion being ignored because Mr. Czerkas doesn't have a PhD or
something?

        I'm just wondering what the consensus is, because I expected
some controversy on this issue, and the silence has been deafening. So
when Brian Curtice shows a detailed knowledge of sauropod vertebrae, I
see a chance for a second opinion.

        Brian? Anyone?

Wayne Anderson