Re: feathers, poison, tree-climbing

In Nick Longrich's post of Mon, 04 Nov 1996, our intrepid leader
wrote...

>[Ostriches necks look "hairy" to casual inspection.  I presume those
> "hairs" are actually feathers.  Are you sure they lose follicles on
> their necks, Nick?  -- MR ]

    Finally, I can be some semblance of useful!

        Yup, those "hairs" are feathers and no they don't lose them
on their necks. If you get up close to an ostritch, you'll find that
the only parts of their body NOT covered in feathers are it's beak
(naturally), it's legs and the backs of it's wings. And when I say
legs I mean all of it's legs, the scales that go up to the knee and
the fleshy skin of the thigh. The back of the wings are fleshy as
well.

Cory

"I never knew what life was until I saw it run out in a red gush over
my lips."

*Cory Gross                          *  Ex ignorantia ad    *
*Secretary-MRC Earth Sciences Society*     sapientiam;      *
*Alberta Palaeontological Society    *      E luce ad       *
*gros4891@adc.mtroyal.ab.ca          *      tenebras.       *
 Bauhaus*Christian Death*Switchblade Symphony*Nine Inch Nails
        *dead poets, dead animals, and Dead Souls*