Re: Juvenile characteristics (was) MORE FEATHERS & NEKKID MAMMALS

George Olshevsky responds to Betty Cunningham:

> > Does this type of throw-back-ness have a technical name?
>
> "Phylogenetic recapitulation in ontogeny"

     Which is why I don't think the hoatzin is a very good analogy for
baby dinosaurs having feathers.  If dinosaurs having feathers at
different stages in its life was a case of phylogeny recapitulating
otogeny, you should see scales in the baby and feathers and smooth skin in
the adult.
     None of which answers my question of how one changes the nature
of ones skin.  Do birds shed thier skin?

LN Jeff
0-