Re: book reviews, parsimony and some loose ends

In a message dated 96-11-04 17:43:50 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

> Certainly I find it hard to imagine a brachiator evolving towards
> loss of grasping function in the hands!

I don't find this hard to imagine at all, if its hands also have a volant
function. What is more difficult for me to imagine is for bipedal animals
with grasping forelimbs to lose their manual digits. I can't imagine a
grasping hand that would be helped by having >fewer< digits. Shucks--pandas
even evolved an extra digit(!).